Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Sneak Peak, Finished B6079 Jacket

Well, thanks to International Women's Day, I was able to spend a lot of time on my jacket and fixed it as much as I could.  I ended up taking the back princess seams in a total of 2-2.25 inches, and letting out the side seams 1 inch total.  Sounds strange, but it makes sense.  I am not a wide person, all my curves go to the front or back, so the extra space is needed on the sides.
A back view, in which you can see the pile of leftover fabric.  I need to reclean my sewing room.  I really love how the elbow patches turned out.  I debated building out the shoulder a little bit, but when I started to do it, it went 80's on me.
A view from the front.  I think that I might need to move the button ever so slightly.  That plaids really do match down the front.  One major change I made to the pattern is that I overlapped the fronts and added a button.  This is one of the reasons that the back was too big, I went up a size to make sure I had enough to do so.  Now I realize, I should have only done that in the front, would have saved me all that extra work.

A closer look at the front.  I topped stitched the edge of the jacket, as the contrast fabric did not want to lay flat.  Doing this was a pita, as my last jersey needle was getting dull and kept on skipping stitches.  I had to manually make the button hole, as my little guy broke my button hole foot.  It's on my list to replace.
I lined it with the gold bemberg as the last jacket I made.  It really brightens up the inside.  I also did a hem facing rather than fold the hem up.  I feel this makes for a cleaner inside.  I hand stitch the sleeve hems, and about an 8" portion of the hem facing.  This equals 20 minutes of hand stitching.
Since I had to replace the original hem facing, I couldn't use the same bias binding as the neck facing.  So some is turquoise and some is purple.  It's on the inside.  No one will know, right?  I also added a pleat on the back.  (Thankfully, so I didn't have to make the final modifications on the lining, the extra fabric from the pleat made it all right.)  You'll have to tune in tomorrow to see the jacket on.  I will leave you with a close up of the elbow patches.  Until next time, happy sewing.  And also, happy women's day, let's hope in the near future, we won't have to have a day set aside to achieve equality.


2 comments:

  1. That is a lovely jacket and all the colours work with you so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am wearing it right now, and realized it needs a second button. Which will get done when I get home from work.

      Delete