Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Shoe Tuesday (Wednesday) Toronto Edition Part 1

I tried to post this on Monday, but the Blogger app for iPhone would not publish it.  I finally was able to save it as a draft and publish it from the site.  And also, another apology for the iPhone photos. I should have lugged my nice camera around.

-I am using the blogger app on the iPhone, as I couldn't be bothered to lug my camera around on our adventures today, mainly because it was well below freezing and who needs that extra weight when you're running from the trolley to the museum to the store to the metro etc.  Anyway, today was my day in Toronto, so it was obligatory to go to the Bata Shoe Museum, which boasts a collection of over 13,000 pairs of shoes.  It was amazing.  Granted not all 13,000 pairs were on display, but the ones that were wow!  I will warn you, this post will be mainly pictures.

Well start with the bottom floor. History of the shoe. Oh and I didn't take notes so I only have limited recollection of what things were. 

The first floor was dedicated to celebrity shoes. The one complaint I had was they played a video on loop which had a twenty second clip of Beiber and Madonma, and the loop was only a couple of minutes long. So for the 30 minutes it took to do the bottom and first floor I had to ignore that. 

I didn't take many pictures of the celebrity shoes, because meh I wasn't feeling them. However, I did learn that Madge has big feet. 
You can't really tell, but it is also true that Marylin Monroe wore heels that were slightly different heights to accentuate her wiggle. 

Moving on...  The second floor is where it gets really interesting. The museum is currently running an exhibit about American Indian/First Nations/Native American shoes. This exhibit is superbly done and made me wish I brought my good camera. The art on these shoes was amazing. Growing up in the Midwest, I have a strong interest in indigenous art. This was peaked even more during my time Russia when I got to travel to Khanti-Mansyiak and sale khans and got to learn about and meet members of the indigenous tribes. Anyway, pictures:


I have a hard time deciding which one is my favorite. I will finish this up tomorrow because there are still two more exhibits to get through and the blogger app is kind of a pain in the ass to insert photos.  Until next time happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment