Saturday, November 1, 2014

A Quick Check-in

I know, I know, I'm a terrible blogger lately.  All excuses aside, the last couple of weeks have been crazy.  We went to London (whole post on that is due), I made a dress for Halloween, I messed up the neckline for said dress for Halloween, so I didn't wear it, and the Marine Ball is a week away and I've just started the gown. Here is my sketch for the gown.  I drew it while coloring with Alex, which is why it's in crayon (and purple).  


For the last couple of weeks I have been researching the tulip wrap skirt, and thinking about painting the poppies, just to realize that I was over thinking it.  I am using this cashmere/wool blend from gorgeous fabrics.  My biggest concern is that painting the fabric would mess with the beautiful drape of the fabric.  So I decided to simplify.  The bodice will be the same one I've been sewing for the last month- B6094.  Since it has a waist band, I decided that would be where the majority of the poppies would be.  I still think that I'll have one or two at the hem, but not many.

Today, I painted the waistband.  It took me two tries.  The first time, I didn't really think about the placement of the poppies and the seam allowances.  I was two thirds of the way done when I realized that it was going to look weird, so I took a deep breath and re-cut my fabric.  The first try is on top, and redone one is on the bottom.

I have gotten really good at drawing poppies.  I also used Peter's advice from Male Pattern Boldness and used a color pencil the second time around to draw.  It worked so much better.  The paint is lumiere fabric paint (found here).

Here is the finished waistband.  I might go back and do a bit of embroidery on the poppy pods.  They seem a little bit under done.  What do you think?  It doesn't look too Becky-homecky does it?  Anyway, back to the grind.  Hopefully I can get the dress most of the way done this weekend, so I'll have more time to blog.  Until next time, happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment