Friday, June 26, 2015

Gingers Round Two and a Sneak Peak

Why hello there, it's been awhile.  I haven't been very motivated to blog over the last two (three?) weeks, mainly as I have been super busy.  Between work trips, my parents, and actual trips, there hasn't been a whole lot of extra time to take photos, edit photos, try and be slightly witty and write something.  There has been some sewing.  I have made two pairs of Iris shorts by Colette Patterns, neither are my favorites, but they certainly wearable, and get frequently worn.  I have also made these:
 Yes another pair of Ginger jeans.  If you can't read the wording on the pocket, it says home made.  Which makes me laugh.  The only thing I did was add 1 inch to the front rise tapering to a half inch in the back.  Which means they sit where they were promised to sit!

I've worn them many many times over the last couple of weeks, and it appears that I could tweak the fit just a little bit more.  They are a little in the butt/thigh area.  I also could lose a half inch in length in the upper back thigh (I think in the new version of the pattern, this is done for you.)  Of course this means there will be another pair.

Here is a side picture.  You can see that they are a little bit loose as they are wrinkling.  I topstitched but didn't use the rivets, because I couldn't find the rivet tool.  I bet the little guy lost it.  So that's that, some new jeans.  Now onto what I am working on right now. 
I think I have been bitten by the quilting bug.  After I swore I was done with it, I decided on another quilted skirt.  My work's biggest event is our Independence day party, so I wanted to make an appropriately festive outfit.  However, I was concerned about looking too hokey.  I thought about it for several days, and came up with an idea.  A navy pleated skirt with thirteen stars at the border paired with either a red buttondown or a red/white striped top.  I'm terrible at drawing stars, so I knew I didn't want to paint them.  I found a pattern for a five point star quilt and figured how to make it work for what I wanted.
I made the stars over the last several weeks between hanging out with my parents and going to Munich.  It was much much slower than usual because my parents took over my sewing room AKA the guest bedroom.  But I got them done last week.  This week I have been putting the stars together and started the skirt.

The hem ends up being 94 inches wide.  I have joined all the pieces of the skirt and have hemmed it (by hand).  Now it's time to figure out the pleating math!  I have to work some tomorrow, but I should theoretically get it done.  Then it's on to the top, which I still need to figure out.  I will leave you with this photo:

Looking good right?  What do you think for the top?  Leave a comment and let me know.  Until next time, happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment